Associate Tooling Engineer
RTC focuses on continual improvement, evolving our capabilities, and reinvesting in our business to deliver higher-performing solutions for our clients. Brands and retailers require more strategic thinking on the shopper experience, higher levels of innovation, a more effective process for managing customer-specific requirements, access to a broader array of manufactured solutions, and the capability to orchestrate a broader and more complex supply chain.
Information about RTC and our benefits are listed here and details about the job opening are below.
Why should you consider a career at RTC?
- 401(K) Plan with company match (we also offer a Roth option!
- Hybrid work from home program offered
- Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield (choose from two PPO plans and one HMO plan based on your deductible comfort level)
- Dental Insurance with two plan options (both PPO Plans)
- Flexible Spending for Health and/or Dependent Care
- Commuter Transit benefit
- Critical illness benefit
- Life Insurance (we cover 3 times your salary - you can purchase more)
- Short-Term Disability Coverage (we'll cover this for you too - you can choose to purchase long-term disability)
- 2 weeks of paid Parental Leave
- 16 PTO Days (full year)
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Tuition Assistance
- Fun Friday Hours - get a head start on your weekend by leaving at 2:30 every Friday (year-round!)
- Volunteer Time Off (VTO) plus company-sponsored volunteer events.
- PTO is encouraged not only for vacations but mental health breaks.
- Work/Life resources such as Legal, Financial, and Counseling are available through our Employee Assistance Program.
- Discounts to eligible fitness centers for associates enrolled with Blue Cross.
- Preventative Care is covered at 100% (annual check-ups and screenings).
- Lactation rooms are available for new mothers at Rolling Meadows location.
- Annual flu clinic at Romeoville and Rolling Meadows for our associates and any dependents covered on our health plan. Flu shots are covered by insurance if associate elects to go elsewhere.
Career Development & Training
We encourage your professional growth and development. We offer mentors with deep industry experience, and management who will assist you in defining and realizing your short and long term career goals and a variety of opportunities for training and advancement.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages all tooling/engineering activities in the design and construction of new tools and modifying existing tools. Works closely with the Technical Manager – Molding, on project plans.
- Evaluate and analyze new part designs and determine the most cost effective method to produce the part, and define tooling requirements. Assures the optimal return on tooling investment.
- Consults internally on injection molded projects.
- Creates mold building specification sheets stating custom mold building specifications and requirements. Understand the end use and life expectancy of tools based on established criteria and project and budget requirements.
- Writes requests for tooling quotations from vendors. Formats financial quotation summaries from multiple vendors for internal review.
- Assure that vendors keep within budget and timing constraints on projects.
- Approve injection molding tool design.
- Assure that vendors incorporate approved designs in injection molding tool construction.
- Manage RTC’s library of tool drawings.
- Travel to vendors domestically and in Asia to evaluate the progress, construction, and performance of RTC’s tools.
- Travel to local vendors to evaluate completed injection molding tool performance and product conformity.
- Provides detailed reports and project summaries for all tooling programs.
- Manage the preventive maintenance program for new and existing tools by working directly with RTC’s custom injection molding vendor base.
- Evaluate product design as to moldability and simplification for moldability.
- Assist in troubleshooting injection molding problems.
- Develops new tooling sources and continuously improve existing suppliers by working with the Technical Manager, Purchasing, and Estimating departments.
- Work with injection molding tool designers to assure the highest quality injection molding tools possible.
Education - Degree in relevant area or proven experience required.
- 5-10 years’ of plastics engineering experience. Strong knowledge of plastic materials, characteristics, and properties.
- Proven knowledge of injection mold design and molding process.
- Experience with engineering resins.
- Machine hands-on is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of injection molding principles and tooling debugging skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, including customer and supplier interface.
- Ability to technically negotiate and understand the financials involved in each project.
- Knowledge of Solidworks, Auto Cad, IGES, and step file format. Must be proficient in MS Office.
RTC is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, individuals of all ethnicities, people with disabilities (intellectual and physical), and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. We are dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, religion or any other basis prohibited by law.