Sr. Development Designer
- Based on the brief provided, establish and document a design rationale for use in validating your designs.
- Create design concepts of retail fixtures, fittings and furniture: thumbnail sketches, line drawings, color sketches and/or renderings as appropriate.
- Create assembly drawings – concept and/or actual.
- Create part drawings – concept, prototype and/or pricing.
- Create assembly instruction sheets as assigned by design management.
- Manage the design of assigned projects and follow-up with project teams as to the status of projects as required by the project manager.
- Participate in project status reviews with project teams and design management.
- CAD: Operation of main departmental design program, spreadsheets, e-mail, system network, system management and plotting/printing.
- Build low resolution prototypes and volume studies.
- Attend client meetings in person and/or via video conferencing.
- Contribute to concept critiques.
- Ensure that design and presentation standards are maintained.
- Travel internationally up to once per quarter as required by design management.
- Design consulting – contributing to projects not directly assigned to.
- Keep abreast of new production materials & processes.
- Keep abreast of retail design trends in target sectors.
- Keep abreast of updates in design technologies.
- Attend available seminars as required.
- Reports to: Global Creative Director
- Manages: None
- Key Internal Contacts: Account teams, Project Management, Model Shop, Engineering, Planning and Estimating.
- Key External Contacts: Clients, vendors.
Education, Experience, Skill Requirements
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design or equivalent
- Experience: Five to seven years in the retail design field.
- Knowledge: Strong working knowledge of Wood, Metals and Plastic material sets and associated manufacturing processes including thermoforming, manual fabrication, construction and finishing.
- Skills: Mechanical mindset; must be able to work independently; extremely well organized; excellent interpersonal skills; able to juggle and set priorities; flexible; collaborative; problem solver; demonstrate initiative; basic engineering.
- CPU Skills: Proficiency in SolidWorks, Adobe Creative Suite required. Experience with SketchUp a plus. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Detail & accuracy-oriented.
- Reliable delivery against deadlines.
- Innovative, over-delivery mindset.
- Self-initiated and communicative.
- Curious, pro-active and open minded.
- Collaborative, open to direction and feedback.
- Works independently, setting and adjusting priorities on a daily basis, advising supervisor of any problems or concerns.
RTC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities (intellectual and physical) and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. We are dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
RTC masters the design and detail of retail, helping brands and retailers improve the shopping experience and grow their bottom line. We design retail programs and environments, execute them globally, and build products that improve retail performance. We provide our clients a cohesive brand experience, expanded retail presence, and consistently better results at a lower total cost. Learn more at http://www.rtc.com/.
Why should you consider a career at RTC?
- Health Insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield (choose from two PPO plans based on your deductible comfort level)
- Dental Insurance with two plan options (both PPO Plans)
- Benefit Value Advisor and Member Rewards (through Blue Cross Blue Shield)
- Flexible Spending for Health and/or Dependent Care
- Commuter Transit benefit
- 401(K) Plan with company match (we also offer a Roth option!)
- Life Insurance (we cover 3 times your salary to a max of $150K - you can purchase more)
- Short-Term Disability Coverage (we'll cover this for you too - you can choose to purchase long-term disability)
- 16 PTO Days (full year)
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Telecommuting program (after 6 months)